Tuesday, May 18, 2010

LA Day 4 - Novice Standard

Novice Standard at 8.30am! That means wake up at 6am. For some reason two hours is hardly ever enough time to finish hair and make-up preparation, especially with the fancier doo for standard. Made it in just in time to get our costumes on and fortunately our event was not until 10.30 am. So we had some time for food and warming up
. I guess there is not much to tell about dancing the waltz, foxtrot, quickstep for 4 rounds. There are some beautiful dresses out there I have to say though. And as proud of my yellow dress as I have been, I realize it is quite unsparkly and rough compared to most other
dresses. But the more I look at others' costumes and the more I go through vendors' wardrobes the more conscious I become of what I like and don't like, what lines look good on people and what color do not. Its always fascinating.

We placed 4th in Standard. Better than we expected and definitely very pleasing.

After Standard, being very hungry I really wanted to try this German Bratwurst place that Henry mentioned on our first day but that we had not been able to go to yet. We were going to have lunch with some of Alex's relatives later who live not too far from LA. Still, they were not going to make it for a while and we called Henry up to see if we could all get together for lunch at Wurstkuche, it was his Birthday as well anyways! You wouldn't guess it... it was extraordinary! They had sausages from mozarella/tomato to alligator/pork and rabbit/rattlesnake and delicious cucumber drinks. Satisfied those meaty urges for sure!

http://www.wurstkucherestaurant.com/01%20ASSETS/Wurstkuche_WEB_MENU_V4.pdf

After we got back to the hotel we were supposed to go for a second lunch with family but still not for a while. Bottega Louis. (Again per Henry's suggestion ;) But, before we went, we had to wait for his relatives to get there during which time we had a little photo shoot session as the conditions were prime. We got to wait in this really pretty and empty bar/restaurant lounge a really with soft colored decor and floor to ceiling windows providing beautiful natural light.
The pictures that turned out were all absolutely gorgeous with some weirdness involved...because apparently I cannot model for more than 2 minutes without screwing up my face.

After lunch, all of us took a ride to Beverly Hills, down Rodeo Dr, past UCLA, and up Sunset Blvd, etc. I thought it unwise to even get out of the car to walk around, I felt too much of a tourist as it was gawking and exclaiming at every car and store we passed, and its not as if I was really going to buy anything anyway. But, just passing all of those stores, like Juicy Couture, Ferragamo, Bagdley Mischka, etc was quite exhilarating. After the drive and a stop by a cafe we came back to the hotel and started to get ready for the Saturday night show: the adult champ standard finals and youth latin finals.
Funny story: as we got to the front desk to buy tickets for the evening show the tickets were all sold out so we stood and waited until the situation was sorted out. People were running around looking for Daphna, trying to find way to get in. We got on the list for standing room and had to wait our turned to be let in. Next to us was a man also waiting. Alex was small talking as he usually does and this man was trying to not let anyone take his spot ahead of him. Finally his name is called - Tudor. The UMBDT team president of many years past. And we didnt even know. We all laughed about it and continued with some memories of past and how much the team had changed and grown. It was quite pleasant to meet older team members in a ballroom setting, to know that it still goes on, long after you have left the team. Everyone treasures the dancing and the friends and relationships developed while part of the ballroom dance team at University of Michigan.
Ah! Pasha Pashkov and Daniella Karagach are something special. Its strange how not very many couples smile on the dance floor, but these two are just so serene and happy and you just get happy watching them!

And these kids are also simply phenomenol! I love couples who are naturally happy, charismatic and not very forceful on the dance floor and yet still stand out as the best. And who complement each other so well.
The show included showcases by Eugene Katsevman and Maria Manusova as well as Victor Fung and Anastasia.
You know who else makes me happy? Andrei Gavriline. Im not a stalker or anything but that is one beautiful man with some beautiful hair. I think he caught me using Alex's mega zoom lens to take pictures of him but I hope he wasn't freaked out. I just really admire him. Alex wanted me to go up and take a picture with him as several years ago they did a showcase at UofM for us and I met them and did their music, but I was too scared/shy to even say hi to him and Elena. Yea, I know.



1 comment:

  1. Victor Fung makes me happy. Dizzily happy.

    You have a thing for men with beautiful hair, don't you??? HAHAHAHA. At least it was only a mega zoom lens, it wasn't a super mega extreme zoom lens. Also, the camera probably hid your face from view!

    ReplyDelete