Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 2 in Los Angeles

Second day in LA started with an amazing breakfast at Nickel diner which is a local breakfast place down the street from the loft. I had an amazing baked dutch pancake which is a pancake baked not fried with cinnamon and apples. By Henry's recommendation I also got a maple bacon donut which was an experience definitely worth having: its a super soft donut toped with bacon bits and covered in delicious maple glaze. It was savory sweetness in the mouth...I mean come on, bacon on a donut!
Then we headed a couple blocks down to the metro station. On our way through a square, I suddenly spot... a cow. Go figure. But it was standing atop several stairs with its front legs tied together so it couldn't walk anywhere and a guy was holding it by the halter. The poor animal was sooo stressed I felt so bad for it! People would stop and stare and the guy said it was for a commercial or something when I asked. So that was basically my first impression of LA. (Besides the amazing food!)

The subway pass was $5 for the entire day and was applicable for the metro and the bus system (whoever said LA doesn't have public transport was wrong: its actually quick and convenient). Our first stop was to be Hollywood. We mistakenly got off on the wrong stop, because there are about 5 stops with the word Hollywood in them, but the mistake was easily corrected and next we got off at hollywood highland stop to come out right at the star walk or walk of fame. It was pretty exciting to be at a place you always see on tv. And there were so many “fake stars” or people dressed in costumes of famous people, ie. MJ, Marilyn Monroe, Yoda, Zorro, etc. They were all very pushy in a friendly way for pictures but definitely asked for money afterwards which is expected but when you refused to take pictures they would get upset. After walking around here for a few minutes I realized I needed a hat because my head was getting really hot and I didn't want to risk heat stroke or anything and Alex realized he needed sunglasses if we were to survive outdoors in Cali. We went into an H&M store right across the street and Alex was inroduced to the awesomeness of that store. (well I at least really like it). He got glasses for $5 and I got a hat for $6. Pretty good deal I think. Next we walked around the mall for a bit, the main purpose of which was to find a bridge from which we could take a picture of the Hollywood sign on the mountain. Mission accomplished we went back down to the Metro to try and get to Santa Monica beach. After a very long and cramped bus ride for about an hour, we finally got off at the beach! Did I mention yet how happy I get when I see palm trees? We were getting hungry by now and stopped by a tiny little grocery/cafe and got 2 ice cream cones and a cannolli for $4.50 total! Is that awesome or what?! The plan now was to do nothing but relax on the beach. It was actually surprisingly chilly and windy at the water front and a bit later in the day than we had planned to be there by and I was reluctant to lay out in nothing but a bathing suit. It was a glorious time nonetheless. Napping in the sun listening to Bob Marley... Ah! Cant really ask for more. After it started getting pretty late we decided to start looking for some place to eat. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. was way to crowded and while watching the sun set we came across a small bar on the beach where we had some fish and chips to warm us up and prepare for an hour bus ride home. There sure are some strange people in Los Angeles. We were a bit anxious to get back as we didnt want to be walking around very late at night but fortunately our neighborhood was having an Art Walk where all the local artists open their studios and artsy people swarm the streets. We got home, and I still had to do my nails and fix my dress and sew some buttons, but all was completed as it should be by about 2am and sleep was very welcome.

Next day is first day of competition: Novice Latin at 1pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment