Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A love letter

Letter from St. Paul to the Corinthians

Some of you may have seen this quote before...
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately as well as spiritual discussions with my mother and this has got to be one of the best quotes ever. but just to read it is to see it superficially and say "ok, I get it" and then one forgets really. But to truly lie that way is what is important. When people say that love requires sacrifice what they often picture is an unbalanced system I feel. Sacrifice and love must be mutual for any relationship to work and Im not just talking about relationships between man and woman I am talking about friendships as well. Any person you feel is dear to you. I have also heard people say Love is overrated but then what do you live with? what are all your friends and family to you? Love is not a one dimensional aspect in life everyone hopes to attain its something that is always present whether one accepts it or not. It might take someone a while to really realize what it is, but if you were to truly be in a world with no love people would be a lot worse off that they are now. Anyway that about al I can write in the time I have, in terms of random thoughts

"If I speak in human and angelic tongues 2 but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing; if tongues, they will cease; if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing.
For we know partially and we prophesy partially, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things. At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.
So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

No comments:

Post a Comment